"I just can't stop loving you.' He croons.
Yes, Micheal Jackson. The icon. The King of Pop. It has been months after his death and I am still reeling from the lost of such a great performer.
A little background on my admiration for this man. I grew up watching him moonwalk and executing his crotch-grabbing dance move and hearing his infamous 'Ow!'. In fact, my first impression of television was watching his MTV on the tube. I remember trying to dancing to Billy Jean and Beat it or crying when Thriller was on. I remember staring in awe as he did the moonwalk right in front of my eyes on the screen. (Yes, I moved to sit directly in front of the TV at as close a proximity as the pixels allow, guess that explains my glasses. ) No, I was not one of the thousands who sprained their ankles emulating his moves but I definitely was part of the millions who stare with open mouths and wondering if this man has bones on his ankles. Thus, with him practically being part of my childhood, I am saddened by his sudden passing and (excuse my exaggeration) I feel that part of my childhood died with him as well.
So, why in the world will I drag my childhood idol into my communications blog? Well, he is iconic and he has been the brunt of media scrutiny since his Jackson 5 days. Heck, even my grandma, who is Chinese speaking by the way, knows who he is! Every time he appears on television she will be there exclaiming in Chinese how great a dancer he is and that she loves watching him dance. This goes to show how the media has impacted his rise to fame and his subsequent fall from grace. Till his very end, he was under media scrutiny.
I guess this is a love-hate relationship. The media namely, television, radio, news prints and magazines play a big part in MJ's career. They brought him from a nothing, a little boy performing with his brothers, to a sensational hit. And yet, in recent years, it brought him down, covering his court cases and his file for bankruptcy. The very thing that made him who he is, tore him down.
Let me start off with the 'love' relationship. In his early days, the media covered Jackson 5 and followed him through to his solo career. It is through the television and radio that his songs were broadcast. People were exposed to his songs and this led to rise in album sales. Micheal Jackson was a hit. Sales sky-rocketed and many people gained. The music industry boomed with sales of his records and memorabilia. However, a side industry that tapped onto this boom was the fashion industry. MJ as we all know, pushes boundaries beyond anything possible. His quirky dress sense, think sequined pants or jackets, military-inspired outfits, skinny tight jeans, aviator shades and fedora hats, sent ripples through the fashion industry as people rush to buy clothes that are 'MJ-inspired'. Watching Mj dance in a military jacket on television definitely sent some youth crazy and he is willing to find every penny or dime just to afford a jacket that looks something like the one Mj wore on TV. So, I guess it's fair enough for me to say that the fashion industry has MJ and the media namely, the television, to thanks for it's booming business.
Let's move on to the 'hate' relationship. The media, prior to his death labeled him as 'loony'. Covering extensively on his court cases and his bankruptcy. His downward spiral from fame was caused by media coverage on his life as a whole. How he treated his child by dangling him over the hotel window, or how he covered his kids' faces with towels and blankets to shield them from media scrutiny or even how he sleeps in an oxygen box. His private life is not private at all. Excuse me, but I see MJ as a performer and I don't care if he sleeps in an oxygen tank, so just leave the man alone! But no, his marketability was too high. People will want to know what Micheal Jackson is up to. People will watch the television just because it covers Micheal Jackson 'live' or read a magazine because it has an article on Micheal Jackson. The media dug into his life so much that it became and moulded him to who he was. Trying his very best to keep his children from the public eye, being 'loony' because I guess he's just sick of papparazzis following him around. Even to his very last breathe, there were cameras flashing and helicopters flying over his head. I find this sad. That the media did not give him peace. Never once, in his entire entertainment life.
Right now, This is It, is showing in cinemas all over the world. A painful reminder of his death, but once again, the effects of media is at play. How many people are scrambling to the stores to purchase his albums? I went shopping once and am horrified to see all the major boutiques I went into had at least one MJ-inspired jacket. Frankly, I am disgusted. Once again, the fashion industry is banking MJ, this time on his death. I wonder how will he react to this uproar of his death. This is the wonders and power of the media. How it can mould a person and bring him down all in the short span of his 50 years on earth.
Just so you know, I watched This is It twice. Not because I want to support the media industry banking on his death but because I miss him. Watching him dance one last time on the silver screen brought me back to my little girl days, staring wide-eye at the moonwalking sliding across the screen.Never will I see another performer like him for he has taught me to push the boundaries and break barriers just like how he did with the moonwalk.
P.S. Just so you know, Micheal Jackson's album was playing in the background as I was typing this. =)

Dear Prof. Armstrong,
ReplyDeleteI was unable to set the paragraphing for this post and I have no idea why. As such, I apologise if it strains you to read it.
Sorry!
Cherissa